Painting (362) GW (332) Games Workshop (331) Warhammer 40000 (229) Modelling (92) Astra Militarum (65) Imperial Guard (65) Epic (59) Chaos Marines (51) Space Marines (46) Tau (46) Airbrushing (44) Epic Chaos (44) Warhammer (43) Warhammer 30000 (40) Saga (31) Middle Earth SBG (30) Nurgle (29) Titan (28) Gripping Beast (27) IGTanks (25) Anglo-Saxons (24) Blood Bowl (22) Stormcrow Chapter (20) TauTanks (18) Orks (17) Wargames Table (17) Imperial Knights (16) Scenery (16) Black Scorpion (15) Epic Ultramarines (15) Frostgrave (15) Pirates (15) Age of Sigmar (13) Kings Of War (10) Moria (10) Undead (10) Vampire Counts (10) Angmar (9) Death Guard (9) Forgeworld (9) Mordor (9) Quick Tips (9) Stormcast Eternals (9) AAR (8) Barad Dur (8) Battle Report (8) Goblins (8) Unboxing (8) Wood Elves (8) Isengard (7) Nippon (7) Orcs (7) Siege (7) Wargames Factory (7) Building modular tiles (6) Dreadtober 2016 (6) Sentinels (6) Skaven (6) Vikings (6) Workshop (6) Beastmen (5) Dreadtober 2017 (5) Dropzone Commander (5) Garroting'em Forest (5) Hawk Wargames (5) Humans (5) UCM (5) Warriors of Chaos (5) Imperial Agents (4) Mantic (4) Ogres (4) Sci-Fi Ruins (4) Solar Auxilia (4) Adepta Sororitas (3) Adeptus Ministorum (3) Dwarfs (3) Necromunda (3) Sisters of Battle (3) The Fellowship of The Ring (3) Dead of Dunharrow (2) Kharadron Overlords (2) Nazgul (2) Osgiliath (2) Photography (2) Renedra (2) Trolls (2) Uruk-Hai (2) 3D Printing (1) Amera Plastic Mouldings (1) Armies (1) Bolt Action (1) Cities of Death (1) Days out (1) Germans (1) Giant (1) Marauder (1) Necrons (1) Perry Miniatures (1) Reaper Miniatures (1) Warlord Games (1) Warlord Titan (1) em4 Miniatures (1)

Monday, 29 June 2015

Solar Auxilia - Dracosan Transport (part 1 - rebuilding)

I semi-accidentally seem to have fallen into building a Warhammer 30K/Horus Heresy army.

I was looking for transport options for my Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum army and found a tank up for grabs on eBay for a snip. I grabbed it up before I realised that it was actually a Solar Auxilia Heresy-era tank.

It was in a shocking state when I got it; Mis-built, parts missing etc.

I knew very little about this tank when I got the model. A bit of research told me that it could carry 10 troops if fitted with a demolisher cannon, or 20 if fitted with a twin-linked lascannon. When it arrived, it had neither. In it's place was some sort of control-panel gizmo which as near as I can tell has nothing to do with this model.

The model should also have a searchlight (missing) and a pintle-mounted weapon (missing).

Also missing was the gunner's head.

Off to the bitzbox!

I wanted to be able to carry 20 troops so I went for the tl-lascannon option. I had a couple of old metal space-marine shoulder-mounted lascannon that I glued together. I then removed the control-panel doohickey and routed out a hole in the model and glued them in place, covering the join with green-stuff to represent a flexible cowling like on Chimera hull-mounted weapons.

I had an old flamer which I cobbled together with an old pintle-mounted storm bolter to make a pintle-mounted flamer. An old searchlight was added and the gunner's head came from one of the free-standing pilot models that come in the Valkyrie set.

Judging by the casting quality and the quality of the resin I don't think this is a Forgeworld original. It's a telling sign that it came in a box festooned with Chinese characters too, I think. As such there was a fair bit of warping so some green-stuff filling was required too.

There's not much I can do about the missing rockers from the back.

Still - it's shaping up!

The model with all my repairs complete, basecoated & tracks drybrushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm interested to hear what you think. Please leave any comments you'd like to make here.