In late 2015 after doing a swap with my good friend Mike (He gave me a shedload of surplus models he'd picked up when building forces for the Saga wargame in exchange for some surplus Mantic Undead I had knocking around) I started working on a force for the Saga game.
Mike was also kind enough to supply rulebooks and battleboards - everything I needed to get into the game.
I got stuck straight in and started to build an Anglo-Saxon force.
My intention was to do a basic paintjob on these guys and then use Armypainter dip (they were to be my first experiment with dipping). In the event I had such fun painting the Warlord (my first model) that I did all the highlighting ad shading by brush so the dipping never happened.
I was working with donated models (and, being "tight", wanted to avoid spending any money on these guys and also to squeeze out as many forces from Mike's kind donation as I could) so some compromises were made in the builds, but hopefully I've not been so historically inaccurate that I'll offend anyone.
|My Warlord - a Gripping Beast Saxon Thegn with a cape added|
|A unit of Hearthguard: Wargames Factory mounted Germans, but with Saxon heads from the Thegn sprues.|
|A second unit of Hearthguard - GB Saxon Thegns|
|A unit of Warrirors - GB Saxon Thegns with Dark Age Warrior heads|
|Levies - GB Dark Age Warriors|
|A third and final unit of hearthguard - GB Saxon Thegns again|
|My second and final unit of Warriors (GB Saxon Thegns with GB Dark Age Warrior heads), with shield decals.|
|All 41 models in the force, complete with shield decals applied to all.|
More Saga stuff (including Anglo-Saxons):