Painting (369) GW (332) Games Workshop (331) Warhammer 40000 (237) Modelling (100) Astra Militarum (65) Imperial Guard (65) Epic (59) Chaos Marines (51) Warhammer 30000 (48) Space Marines (46) Tau (46) Airbrushing (44) Epic Chaos (44) Warhammer (43) Titan (36) Saga (31) Middle Earth SBG (30) Nurgle (29) Gripping Beast (27) IGTanks (25) Anglo-Saxons (24) Blood Bowl (22) Stormcrow Chapter (20) TauTanks (18) Orks (17) Wargames Table (17) Imperial Knights (16) Scenery (16) Black Scorpion (15) Epic Ultramarines (15) Frostgrave (15) Pirates (15) Age of Sigmar (13) Kings Of War (10) Moria (10) Undead (10) Vampire Counts (10) 3D Printing (9) Angmar (9) Death Guard (9) Forgeworld (9) Mordor (9) Quick Tips (9) Stormcast Eternals (9) Warlord Titan (9) AAR (8) Barad Dur (8) Battle Report (8) Goblins (8) Unboxing (8) Wood Elves (8) Isengard (7) Nippon (7) Orcs (7) Siege (7) Wargames Factory (7) Building modular tiles (6) Dreadtober 2016 (6) Sentinels (6) Skaven (6) Vikings (6) Workshop (6) Beastmen (5) Dreadtober 2017 (5) Dropzone Commander (5) Garroting'em Forest (5) Hawk Wargames (5) Humans (5) UCM (5) Warriors of Chaos (5) Imperial Agents (4) Mantic (4) Ogres (4) Sci-Fi Ruins (4) Solar Auxilia (4) Adepta Sororitas (3) Adeptus Ministorum (3) Dwarfs (3) Necromunda (3) Sisters of Battle (3) The Fellowship of The Ring (3) Dead of Dunharrow (2) Kharadron Overlords (2) Nazgul (2) Osgiliath (2) Photography (2) Renedra (2) Trolls (2) Uruk-Hai (2) Amera Plastic Mouldings (1) Armies (1) Bolt Action (1) Cities of Death (1) Days out (1) Germans (1) Giant (1) Marauder (1) Necrons (1) Perry Miniatures (1) Reaper Miniatures (1) Warlord Games (1) em4 Miniatures (1)

Thursday, 5 November 2015

Saga: Anglo Saxons (Part 1 - building and basecoating)

Time to try something new.

I've been a player/collector of GW's models for so long it's easy to forget that there are other and often better games out there. Games with much cleaner, leaner rules.

I was recently fortunate enough for my friend Mike to give me some cast-off models and rules that he'd collected for the game Saga. He's not given up playing but just had more than he needed.

So, I am setting about turning his overflow into maybe two or three playable warbands.

I've started with some Anglo-Saxons.

So far they have simply been built, had bases textured and been sprayed black. They should hopefully start to look more interesting in short order.

All models are Gripping Beast minis with the exception of the mounted Hearthguard which are Wargames Factory.

As I'm working with donated models (and am too cheap to buy any more) I've not had free choice in what I'm working with. My Hearthguard (foot) and Warriors are all simply GB's "Saxon Thegns", but:

  • I've used heads from the Thegns (which are helmeted) for the Hearthguard and...
  • Heads from the sprues I used for my Levies (GB Dark Age Warriors) for my Warriors - they're un-helmeted so it will help distinguish between them on the tabletop.

Sorry about the gloomy photos - lighting was awful when taken.

My Warlord

My first Hearthguard unit

My second Hearthguard unit - mounted. These are Wargames Factory models with some Gripping-Beast heads. Not too keen on these fellas - the horses are miniscule and the riders' feet are bare. They also seem very "hollow-chested".

My third Hearthguard unit

Some Warriors

More Warriors

And finally some Levies
More Anglo-Saxons:
More Saga stuff (including Anglo-Saxons):

No comments:

Post a comment

I'm interested to hear what you think. Please leave any comments you'd like to make here.